MOST COMMON FOOTBALL INJURIES - Because of the super bowl this weekend, the theme of this week's blog is football injuries. Luckily there were no major injuries in the big game, but it doesn't hide the fact that there are a lot of injuries over an NFL season. Here is a list of the most common:
1. Knee Injuries - The most common at around 22%, these are mostly traumatic injuries from cutting, running and the impact of the game. Ligament and meniscus tears are very common and often end careers.
2. Ankle Injuries - These can range from minor sprains to major fractures. They make up 15% of injuries
3. Upper Leg - a combination of strains and impact injuries. Of course hamstring strains make up a majority of these (almost 100 per year)
4. Shoulder - common at 8%, they happen a lot from quarterbacks being driven into the ground by pass rushers, resulting in separated or dislocated shoulders.
5. Head Injuries - the most infamous at around 7% because of their long term neurological effects.
Overall, football players have to withstand huge forces during a season, hence the recovery time of 1 week between games so that tissues can heal for the next game. These are tough athletes!
Milner Chiropractic and Sports Injury Clinic